I hope all the fathers out there were spoiled yesterday. I was, but I'm treated pretty good all the time. We had great services. Scott Myer did a great job singing a song I had never heard before, "Watching You". It had a very good message for dads. I loved Scott and Noah's shirts this week. Made me want to stand and salute.
I was thinking during the music portion of our worship about what makes a "Welcome Atmosphere" at a church. I came up with an acrostic that I'm going to develop further, but i thought I would share it with you now. Sometimes it helps me think things through when I just write them out...
- W = Warm and Fuzzy, You know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you have done something good. That emotional feeling that you get when you have taken your children somewhere and they have really enjoyed themselves and got something good. I think our church should make moms and dads walk away with a warm fuzzy feeling about taking their kids to church.
- E = Energy, The worship service should be energy filled. The music should be exciting. The atmosphere should be charged with energy. Church members should be rested up for Sunday morning so they don't come dragging in to church. Wake up! Down some coffee!
- L = Laughter, Laughter is contagious and it just makes you feel so much better. I know there is a time and a place for everything but i like to laugh and have a good time at church. Christians should be the happiest people on earth. The New Testament Christians were accused of being drunk but of course it was the Holy Spirit not wine. If we're going to be accused of being drunks, let's at least be happy drunks.
- C = Compassion, Compassion is what people need when they come to church. Jesus saw the multitudes and was moved with compassion. Have you ever been to the Emergency Room and had the doctors and nurses stand around and tell you how stupid you were for getting hurt or being sick? Why do some Christians want to level criticism rather than love with compassion?
- O = Opportunity, People coming to our church need to know that there is an opportunity there for them. They need to be able to find a place to fit in and be a part of what God is doing. A welcome atmosphere is one in which people can feel at home, like part of the family, and then become a part of the ministry.
- M = Mission, A mission is very important to make people feel welcome. Our mission is so large that there will always be a need for more to get involved. People need to know that there is a purpose for our church. That God has a plan and a reason for our church.
- E = Encouragement, The world around us can be very discouraging and so the church needs to be a place of encouragement. We must speak the truth in love. We must be honest about everything but also speak words of encouragement. With God all things are possible. When people leave the church on Sunday mornings they should feel encouraged.
There you have it. The beginnings of something maybe. I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, ideas.