It's crazy sometimes, the things that people stress over, get mad about, and allow to mess up their world. Tempers flare, things get heated, people begin flaming each other, and we forget how stupid, petty, and small the spark that ignited the fire was. Have you ever made a mountain out of a mole hill?
Many problems that pastors deal with could probably be avoided if we could all learn to apply this little piece of advice, "Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill".
Church members should be careful not to make mountains out of mole hills. Maybe I can just accept that my name was spelled wrong in the bulletin this week (mole hill), that I didn't get invited to lunch (mole hill), or that I didn't get a pat on the back (mole hill). Get some perspective! There are some really serious issues that our brothers and sisters are dealing with; sickness, death, divorce, etc. Instead of wasting so much time on our mole hills maybe we should be praying for and helping our loved ones deal with their mountains.
Pastors should also be careful not to make mountains out of mole hills. Take a deep breath before we go all "Bill Murray" on the situation. Do we really need to deal with this mole hill? Is it really that serious? Are there more important things we should be dealing with at the moment? Having grown up in church, I have watched some pretty stupid (mole hill) issues turn into huge (mountain) issues! Don't make mountains out of mole hills!
What is a mole hill anyway? What's a mole? I am offering up my diligent Google research for the good of those I care about...
I was thinking about how to avoid the mole hills. I'm not sure I could work this into a Sunday message or not but i really liked the advice given about the Prevention and Control of Moles...What do you think? Any life application here?
- Trapping - Trap them and send them away, but then another mole will just move into the original mole's hole. There will probably always be mole hills to deal with.
- Get A Weasel - I'm not sure if I would really want to replace the moles in my life with weasels.
- Flooding - (This is kind of sad) Attack their homes and kill their children? Mom and Dad Mole escape and come back angry.
- Barriers - Maybe...I don't know. Seems like I would be spending so much time and energy digging that I would not have time for anything else.
- Noise - Let's all get air horns and let the moles have it. Anytime someone puts a mole hill in your path scream at them, blow the air horn. That might work.
- Bad Smells / Urine - This might be my favorite. I'll leave it at that.
- Digging - Yeah! Dig 'em out Hit 'em in the snout!
I think I'll need to spend a little more time developing this message. Any suggestions would be appreciated.